Cahvol prides itself on promoting transparency for the tenant throughout the letting process, ensuring you are fully aware of the process involved with letting the property. We provide each tenant with an “Introduction to letting” to safeguard your interest and make you aware of exactly what you are committing to.

We want the property you are letting to become your home when you move in. Cahvol completes checks prior to the move in date to ensure the property is in a safe state, we ensure that gas safety checks have been completed.

If your landlord has engaged Cahvol to manage the property we will be on hand to ensure any arising issues are dealt with effectively, giving you peace of mind. Cahvol will help you with all your requirements, from organising council tax, to setting up utilities contracts.

The only fee that you, as a tenant, will have to pay is the referencing and administration fees at the beginning of your tenancy, which is a one off payment of £50.00 plus VAT. Please see below answers to the most common questions received.

Where do I start?

The first step is to locate suitable properties and arrange some viewings. Use our ‘Property Search‘ to view current availability.

What happens once I’ve seen a property that I like?

It is important that you contact us as soon as possible in order to register your interest in a particular property.

A non-refundable administration fee, listed below, is required to reserve a property, subject to contract.

The administration fee must be paid in cleared funds, i.e. cash, bank transfer, bankers draft or by paypal.

Please note that if the tenancy does not proceed due to any of the following circumstances the administration fee will not be refunded;

1) Where you or any proposed joint tenant change your mind and withdraw after references have been sought and/or documents prepared and/or preparations for the tenancy put in hand.

2) Where the tenancy does not commence within one calendar month of payment of the holding fee because of any action by you (as the property may be taken off the market there will be no possibility of finding another tenant during this period).

3) Where you or any proposed joint tenant fail the credit check or we do not receive favourable references from one of your previous landlords.

4) Where your references show that you have given misleading or incorrect information which cannot be construed as a mistake.

It is important to point out that payment of the non-refundable administration fee does not oblige the landlord to let the property, or any other property, to you and it does not commit the landlord to granting a tenancy or constitute an offer of a tenancy. No interest is payable on the administration fee. The administration fee is fully refundable if the landlord decides not to enter into the tenancy for personal reasons.

Administration fees apply to all named persons on the tenancy agreement aged 18 and over.

What references are required, and what will I need to provide?

References are always required and are obtained through LetRisks referencing agency. It should be appreciated that no tenancy will be granted until satisfactory references have been received and approved.

Each person relating to the tenancy will be required to fill in a reference form.

Additionally, and depending on your personal circumstances, the following will also be required;


All applicants, including guarantors (where applicable), will be required to provide a current Passport or Birth Certificate in combination with a National Insurance Number and photographic identification which can include a Driving Licence or National Identity Card. Non EU applicants will be required to provide a copy of their Biometric Residence Permit or current Visa, together with their Passport containing a UK immigration stamp. Further referencing requirements are as follows;


  • Proof of residency, to include one of the following utility bills and no older than 3 months prior to the commencement date of the tenancy:- gas, electric, water, telephone landline bill (not mobile), most recent council tax bill.
  • Your most recent three months wage slips, or a letter on headed paper from the Personnel/Human Resources Department of your employer confirming your address, start date of your employment and current salary. Please note that this letter must be signed and dated by the Payroll Department or the Financial Director and contain the printed name of the signatory. We cannot accept emails.
  • A previous landlord’s reference, if applicable (we will obtain this on your behalf).

 Self Employed

Identification, 1 & 3 above and a minimum of 3 years filed accounts. If the applicant has been self employed for less than three years they may require a guarantor and authenticated self assessment tax calculation forms from HMRC (These are known as SA302 or SA100 forms). Alternatively a letter from your accountant confirming drawings, and start date of the business may prove acceptable.

Housing Allowance

Identification together with 1 and 3 above (pay slips will be required if a tenant works part-time) AND a guarantor. Evidence from housing benefit confirming that your claim is progressing, or has been accepted.


Identification and 1, 2 and 3 (if applicable) above, and a guarantor.


Identification together with 1, 2.

Monies Payable on or Before Commencement of Tenancy                                                                        


A security deposit is required which is the equivalent of one month’s rent, plus £100 per person. The deposit (less £45.00 for the inventory/checkout) is returnable at the end of the tenancy providing that the property is left in a clean and proper order and there are no damages. A deposit equivalent of 2 months rent is required if the Landlord is willing to accept domestic pets. This is to cover cleaning and deodorising of floor coverings/soft furnishings at the end of the tenancy. The deposit will be registered with The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) or alternative approved Deposit Scheme.


Rent is payable monthly in advance and due by Standing Order on the 1st of each month. If the tenancy start date is anything other than the 1st of a month then the rent will be calculated pro-rata.

Tenancy Deposit Registration Fee: £20.00

Will my money be safe and secure?

You can be assured that any money paid to Cahvol is safe and secure.

Also your deposit will be registered with The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) or alternative approved Deposit Scheme and you will receive a certificate on the commencement of your tenancy to confirm this.

How can I protect my contents and deposit?

If you’re renting, it’s easy to think that you haven’t got many belongings to insure, but the cost of replacing them could be more than you think.

You probably know how much a new TV, laptop, games console or digital camera might cost. However have you thought how much your clothes, shoes, bed linen and kitchen equipment are worth, or even the food in your freezer? The last thing that you need after an accident, burglary, fire or flood is a mounting bill just for the things you take for granted.

Also your landlord’s own insurance won’t cover you if you accidentally damage their property. From a spilt glass of wine to an iron mark on the carpet, accidents happen to the best of us.

That’s why LetRisks have designed a home contents insurance policy specifically for tenants. It covers the cost of replacing your own things as well as cover for your Landlords fixtures and fittings.

When can I move in?

When you first enquire or view a property you will be advised of the date when the property will become available. This information can also be found on the property detail section of our website, and on our printed property lists.

As soon as you pay your holding fee, a definitive date for the commencement of your tenancy will be agreed.

What information is given the day that I take possession of the property?

When the day arrives for you to take possession of your property we shall have already agreed a convenient time to meet you at the property to collect the keys and complete all the necessary paperwork.

The appointment will last for approximately 20 minutes and you will be given a Tenants Pack which will help to guide you through your tenancy. Also included will be the relevant safety certificates (if applicable), an Energy Performance Certificate, copies of utility letters, and the Tenancy Deposit Certificate.

You will also be provided with a very detailed inventory describing the condition of the property and its contents. You will have the opportunity to check the inventory, make any relevant amendments, and return it to us within 48 hours.

Before we can release the keys, all parties aged 18 and over will need to have signed the tenancy agreement, and all remaining monies must be paid in full. We recommend payment by paypal, bank transfer or bankers draft. For security reasons we discourage cash payments.

How long am I committed for?

It will depend on the length of your tenancy agreement. The most common fixed period is 6 months, after which the tenancy runs on a month by month basis.

In this instance you would be obligated for the first 6 months, and should you wish to vacate you would need to give one months notice in writing, ending no sooner than the initial 6 months.

Should you decide to stay beyond the initial 6 months then this is perfectly acceptable, without the requirement to sign another contract. This is known as a ‘statutory periodic tenancy’ running on a month by month basis on the same terms and conditions.

If the landlord requires possession of the property then he would have to provide you with 2 months notice, again not expiring sooner than the initial 6 months.


Share Button